4 Ways to Get Into the Right Mindset for PTE Review
Have you ever sat down with your PTE Makati training module and stared at the same words until you started nodding off? You know that it’s crucial that you start studying. But, for some reason, you just don’t feel like it, and you’re not retaining any of what you’re forcing yourself to read and write? Don’t be too hard on yourself.
Everyone has off days. Make an active effort to get into the study mindset for your PTE training efforts. Use the strategies below.
1. Determine the things that encourage you to procrastinate.
Procrastination is the most common and complex reason why people struggle to focus on their work and studies. It has many causes including, but are not limited to, the following:
• You’ve convinced yourself that the subject is boring.
• You’ve decided that the PTE packages material is beyond your current knowledge and abilities.
• You’re waiting for the “right” moment to start.
• You’re feeling overwhelmed with the significance of the task.
• You want to something else at the moment.
Identify what fuels your procrastination tendencies. Then, make an effort to counter or get rid of them. If you’ve convinced yourself that the topic is too complicated, for example, divide the material into several parts. Study the subject one component at a time. If you can’t get rid of what pushes you to put off your studies (e.g., the desire to watch the new episode of your favorite program), distance yourself from the distractor instead.
2. Clear your mind.
Take a moment to clear your head before you tackle your PTE materials. Close your eyes, take deep breaths, and relax. Do these for 4–5 minutes. Put on some calming instrumental music to help your mind unwind. Engaging in intensive review sessions with a clear mind will help you learn and retain new information better.
3. Do something that’ll stimulate your cognitive functions.
Here are some of the things that you can do to stimulate your mental abilities.
• Drink water
• Reread your lecture notes
• Review your latest PTE mock test performance
• Play a mind game or complete a puzzle
• Make a checklist of all the things you need to do or cover on your next study session
Do some of these activities before you hit your books.
4. Establish a study space.
It’s highly recommended that you pick a spot that you can control, like your bedroom or living room. That way, you can really make the space your own. Using a desk and chair ideal as it’ll have you sitting upright, reducing the risk of you dozing off. It’s also reminiscent of the classroom setup and will have a positive impact on your learning experience.
Before your study session, declutter your study space. Remove everything that’s unrelated to your PTE training. Then, make sure everything essential to your review—from your PTE Makati materials to your lecture notes—is accessible on your desk.
Make the most of every self-study session and PTE packages class. Come up with your own pre-study ritual from these strategies to elevate your review experience.