14 Things Every PTE Test Taker Should Know About the Exam
Whether you are planning to enroll in a PTE review center or you are already attending classes in one, it’s critical that you know all the things on this list. Here’s why.
If you’re still looking for a training program, you can use this information to assess your potential facility’s credibility. Ask them questions about these facts. Look for other PTE review packages if their instructors can’t answer your questions well. Meanwhile, if you are already attending classes, you can use these information to enhance your test preparations. Read on to learn the essentials of the PTE test.
1. The Pearson Test of English is a computerized examination
All four sub-tests (i.e., listening, speaking, reading, and writing) are conducted with a computer under the supervision of PTE examiners.
2. Special computer skills are not needed to take the exam.
PTE is a language test, not a computer exam. You don’t have to be a computer expert to get a high score. If you really want to improve your computer skills for the exam, make sure your PTE review center conducts their mock tests with actual computers—not printouts. It’ll help you get used to the exam’s digital format.
3. PTE uses a QWERTY keyboard.
If you are not used to this kind of keyboard, consider practicing with one during your PTE Academic review. Work on your precision and typing speed to enhance your performance in the writing exam.
4. Your accent has no impact on your overall score.
You don’t need to have a native English speaker’s accent to obtain your score goal. You just need to communicate clearly. The PTE Academic exam is designed to recognize, accept, and grade speech from non-native English speakers.
Registration and booking
5. You can only book a test online or via phone.
Visit the PTE’s official website to make an online registration. Meanwhile, if you want to register by phone, simply get in touch with your area’s PTE customer service group. If you want to enroll in PTE review packages, it’s best that you do so after you booked your exam so you can consider your test date during selection.
6. There are strict rules about filling up the online registration forms.
If you have a long name and it doesn’t fit in the space provided, enter as much of it as you can. Then get in touch with their customer service group and let them know of your situation. Do the same if your given name is the same as your family name. Then, add a period or full stop in the space provided for the “given name.” Consult your PTE review center instructor or contact the nearest test center to find out more.
7. There are three ways to pay for the exam.
You can use a debit card (Visa or MasterCard), a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, JCB, and American Express), or a voucher. Take note. PTE does not accept payments made with PayPal.
8. You can’t take the exam if you can’t present the original copy of your valid ID.
No, you won’t get your test fee back.
9. You can’t take the exam if the name on your ID doesn’t match the name you registered when you booked your exam.
So double-check all the information you enter during registration.
10. You can take the exam wherever there are PTE Academic test centers.
Know that you can take the exam even when you’re not in your home country. Make sure you have an ID that’s included in the PTE’s list of acceptable IDs. Click here to find out more about their ID policies.
11. You can take the test as many times as you want.
Just make sure you got your scores before booking your next exam.
12. You need to get to your test center at least half an hour before the start of your exam.
The 30 minutes will give you enough time to check in, get your identity verified, and settle down.
13. You can jot down notes during the exam.
Use the booklet that the PTE facilitator will give to you at the beginning of the test. You can request another if you run out of space.
14. You can go as soon as you finish the test.
Just let your examiner know by raising your hand and getting their permission to leave.
Do you want to learn more useful information that’ll help you ace the high-stakes exam? Click here to visit our blog!
- “Fast Facts—Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic).” Pearson. Accessed February 02, 2018. https://pearsonpte.com/fast-facts-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic/.
- “Frequently Asked Questions—PTE Academic Test.” EdWise Study Overseas Resources. Accessed February 02, 2018. http://edwiseinternational.com/study-abroad-resources/Study-Abroad-Artical-Resources/frequently-asked-questions-PTE-academic-test-July-2016.asp.
- “PTE Academic FAQ.” Navitas English Test Centre. Accessed February 02, 2018. http://www.navitastesting.com/pearson/frequently-asked-questions-pte-academic/.
- “Test FAQs.” Pearson. Accessed February 02, 2018. https://pearsonpte.com/the-test/faqs/.